If you are interested in Baptizing your child at St. John Vianney, you must:
- Parents must first register in the Parish. There is no cost for Parish Registration.
- Register for Baptism in the Parish Office.
- If the parents or the godparents are not registered members of St. John Vianney Parish, you will need to supply a form from the Parish in which you are registered (that contains the Pastor’s signature and the Parish Seal) giving permission to Baptize or attesting to the eligibility to be a godparent.
- Bring a copy of your child’s birth certificate and proof of custody if this is an issue. Both parents must consent to the baptism. Please bring the required $25 materials fee.
- Parents and godparents are expected to participate in a Baptismal Seminar. Arrangements to do so can only be done once all documents have been received by the office.
- After you have participated in a seminar, you can contact the Parish Baptism Coordinator and schedule your child’s Baptism from the available dates. Baptism are held at St. John Vianney once a month.
- If all requirements have been met, you will receive a certificate at the Baptism.
What id the Cost for Baptism?
The Parish ask for a $25 fee for materials related to the Baptism and seminar which is due with registration.
Also, it is customary for the family to make a donation to the Church at the time of the Baptism.
What is proper attire?
The child should wear a white garment, symbolizing their Christian dignity. Others present should dress in a manner which reflects respect for God, the Church and the Sacrament. Please dress modestly and appropriately.
What are the requirements to be a Godparent?
The Church considers the role of godparent to be very important because they have a special role in the faith life of the child [or adult]. therefore, the Church has certain requirements to be a godparent that are written in Canon Law.
- You must be at least 16 years of age.
- You must have celebrated your Baptism, Confirmation, and First Communion.
- You must be a practicing Catholic. This includes participation in the Mass every Sunday.
- You must be a Catholic who is in good standing with the Church. For example, if you are married you must be married in the Catholic Church.